Song Choices


Song Choice: rockstar 

Artists: Post Malone, 21 Savage

Genres: Hip-Hop/Trap, Modern Rap, Contemporary RnB

Record Label: Republic Records

Themes: Celebrating success, sleeping with lots of women, drug taking

I chose the song rockstar because I did some background research and discovered that it was No. 2 debut on the Billboard Hot 100 and the song grabbed 44.1 million streams in the week ending Sept. 21, according to Nielsen Music. This meant that the song was extremely popular on release and continues to chart at No.1 in the Spotify Top 50. As my target audience is going to be young/teenagers, the majority of users of Spotify are of that age, this means that choosing this song would be an ideal choice, due to the popularity alone. Also, I have had numerous ideas for my music video to cater for this specific song, including super-cars, women and preferably clothes referencing old American RnB/Rap artists e.g. A$AP MOB. This is because from my music video research, I was able to watch many music videos with the same genres, meaning that I found common themes and conventions that were in every music video. Post Malone has also created other songs such as Congratulations which feature similar conventions.

Image result for rockstar by post malone


Song Choice: 1-800-273-8255

Artists: Logic, Alessia Cara, Khalid

Genres: Rap / Hip-Hop, Modern Rap & Hip-Hop

Record Label: Def Jam Recordings

Themes: Advocating suicide prevention, stating that mental health is just as important as physical health

The reason I chose this song was due to the fact that mental health is a common talking amongst young people during this time, meaning that this video is perfectly suited to my target audience of teenagers. Also, the song's name is the phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, meaning that the music video is addressing mental health that is a serious matter that needs to be openly discussed to ensure that people get the support they require. Furthermore, I am a huge fan of the songwriter and artist Logic, who is constantly creating music that challenges social norms and brings subjects to light that some rappers don't. Subjects such as racism, homophobia, discrimination are commonly used in his songs such as Black Spiderman and America. I am also a huge fan of American hip-hop and modern rap, especially songs with a serious message woven into the lyrics. Due to the lyrics of my chosen song, I am able to produce a music video that delivers a strong message to my target audience. My initial plan is to create a video that fights against bullying and how it can affect someone, mentally and physically. In the original music video, it is shown a young, teenage African American boy that is discovered to be gay by his father, the father of the boy he is dating and then the whole athletics team. This therefore takes an emotionally toll on the young boy and finds a gun on a top shelf and heavily contemplates shooting himself. Then he is saved by calling the suicide hotline number and eventually it leads to him having a happy life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Song Choice